California Quinoa Bowl
This colorful, antioxidant-rich quinoa bowl is perfect for summer when fresh, juicy fruit becomes a staple of almost every meal. The bright red strawberries and deep yellow mango make for a beautiful finished product that deserves to be photographed and then lovingly devoured. The California Quinoa Bowl is vegetarian, gluten-free and chock full of protein, fiber, antioxidants, and healthy fats. Cheers to summertime and good health!
For the salad
- 1 cup white quinoa
- 1/2 cup black lentils
- 2 cups strawberries chopped
- 1 large fennel bulb halved, cored and thinly sliced
- 4" green onions split lengthwise and cut into 3' strips
- 1-2 small champagne mangoes peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 large avocado thinly sliced
- 4 oz feta cheese
- 1 cup mixed sprouts
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
For the Citrus Avocado Oil Dressing
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp mustard
- 1 tbsp of your favorite jam
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice from about 1 orange
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2/3 cup Chosen Foods Virgin Avocado Oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
Cook the quinoa and lentils in two separate small pots of boiling salted water until they are both al dente, about 15 to 20 minutes. The quinoa will cook slightly faster. Rinse under cold water and drain. Spread both out onto a plate and chill.
Meanwhile, combine the vinegar, mustard, jam, orange zest, orange juice and salt and mix until smooth. Slowly drizzle in the oil until mostly incorporated. Season with a generous amount of freshly cracked black pepper. Taste to adjust for seasonings.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the quinoa, lentils, sliced fennel, green onions and mangoes and add half of the dressing and toss to evenly distribute. Fold in the crumbled feta, strawberries, and pour in the remaining dressing. Lightly toss to mix throughout.
Transfer to bowls or a large serving dish. Serve salad topped with sprouts and sunflower seeds and enjoy immediately.