This classically essential dish is packed with protein and fiber, thanks to our smoky, spicy Chipotle Avocado Oil Spray. It’s delicious and nutritious because the combination of these two ingredients forms a complete protein—a source of the essential amino acids that we humans cannot produce on our own. Follow our recipe to serve up a quick side for taco night, and use any leftovers as a quick, healthy snack everyone will love.
Pro tip: If you have kids in high school, this is a great recipe for them to learn before college rolls around. It’s so easy, nutritious, comforting, and best of all… inexpensive.
Let’s Talk History
The key players of this dynamic duo actually spent their early days on individual paths. Common rice hails from Asia, while beans originated in South America. They met in the Americas during the era of Spanish and Portuguese colonialism. There was instant chemistry, as you might imagine, that lasted through the centuries.
Today, there are hundreds of variations on this simple meal. Ours is a great base recipe to have in your repertoire, but feel free to riff off of it with extra ingredients like onions, tomatoes, olives, or meat.
Smokey Chipotle Rice & Beans
Time: 15 minutes
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1 can black beans (15.5 oz)
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 cup water
- Chosen Foods Chipotle Avocado Oil Spray
- Optional toppings: chopped fresh cilantro, diced tomato or lime wedges on the side
- Rinse the rice until the water runs through clear. Place the rinsed rice in the instant pot.
- Add the can of black beans on top of the rice. Sprinkle in the salt and onion powder and top it off with a cup of water.
- Give the ingredients a quick stir, then secure the lid. Set the pressure release valve to “sealed.”
- Pressure cook on high for 3 minutes. Once the cooking time has been completed, allow 10 minutes of natural pressure release. Then, carefully flip the valve to open to release the rest to the pressure, being cautious of the hot steam.
- Spray the top of the mixture with Chipotle Avocado Oil Spray and fluff the rice to serve. Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro, diced tomato or lime wedges.