Muhammara Red Pepper, Lentil, and Coconut Soup
Warm and hearty, lentil soup is delicious any time of year. Our new Muhammara Red Pepper Simmer Sauce adds the flavor and texture of fire-roasted red peppers and tomatoes, while coconut milk lends a healthy creaminess to the recipe. Serve with a side of warmed flatbread and enjoy.
Course: Lunch, Dinner
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 2 tbsp Chosen Foods® Avocado Oil
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp red chili pepper flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2-inch piece of ginger, grated or finely chopped
- ¾ cup dry red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 jar Chosen Foods Muhammara Roasted Red Pepper Simmer Sauce (available exclusively at Whole Foods locations)
- 2 ¾ cups water
- 1 13.5 oz can coconut milk, stirred
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cilantro leaves, sesame seeds, and warm flatbread, for serving
- Add the avocado oil to a Dutch oven or pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and fry for 8 minutes, stirring often, until soft. Sprinkle in the chili flakes, garlic, and ginger and cook for 2 minutes until fragrant. Pour in the lentils, Muhammara sauce and water, and season generously with salt and black pepper.
- Set aside 1/3 cup coconut milk for serving. Add remaining coconut milk to the soup and bring to a boil. Decrease heat to medium and simmer gently for 25 minutes, or until lentils are soft but still holding their shape. Add ¼ - ½ cup water if the soup needs thinning.
- Divide the soup among bowls, drizzle reserved coconut milk on top, garnish with cilantro leaves, and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve alongside warm flatbread, if desired, and enjoy.
Chosen Foods Simmer Sauces are available exclusively at Whole Foods locations and are coming soon to Amazon.