Updated: January 1, 2020
Table of Contents
Chosen Foods, LLC is a company based in San Diego, California, U.S.A., that is one of the fastest-growing food brands in North America and the No.1 refined avocado oil brand in the world.
Use of our Site is strictly limited to persons who are of legal age in the jurisdictions in which they reside. You must be at least eighteen (18) years of age to use our Site. If you are not at least 18 years of age, please do not use or provide any information through this Site.
II. Personal Information We Collect
The following is a description of: (i) the categories of Personal Information we may have collected in the preceding 12 months; (ii) the sources from which we may have collected it; and (iii) the business purposes for which we may have collected it.
A. Information That You Provide To Us Directly.
We collect Personal Information from you when you register or create an account on this Site, place an order with us, request a refund or replacement product, enter a contest or sweepstakes with us, respond to a survey or communication such as e-mail, sign up for our email list or newsletter, or participate in another Site feature. You may, however, visit our Site without providing such information.
The Personal Information we may collect directly from you from these sources includes your:
- first and last name
- e-mail address
- physical address/mailing address
- home phone number
- cell phone number
- Chosen Foods account user name and password
If you contact or correspond with us by phone or email, we may keep a record of your contact information and correspondence, and we reserve the right to use your contact information, and any other information that you provide to us in your message, in order to respond thereto. If you wish to change or correct any information you have voluntarily submitted to us, please do so by contacting us in the manner described, below.
We may also collect information that you provide to us about gift recipients, such as their name and shipping address, so that we can fulfill gift purchases. The information we collect about gift recipients is not used for marketing purposes.
B. Information Collected Through Your Use Of The Site
(i) IP Addresses
Like most other websites, the Site collects certain information automatically and stores it in log files. The information may include internet protocol (IP) addresses, the region or general location where your computer or device is accessing the internet, browser type, operating system and other usage information about the use of the Site, including a history of the pages you view. We use this information to help us design our Site to better suit our users’ needs. We may also use your IP address to help diagnose problems with our server and to administer our website, detect potential security threats, analyze trends, track visitor movements, and gather broad demographic information that assists us in identifying visitor preferences.
You can opt out of cookies on the Site using the “Cookie Banner” and the bottom of the home page of the Site. You can also choose to have your computer warn you each time a cookie is being sent, or you can choose to turn off all cookies. You do this through your browser (like Chrome, Firefox, or Internet Explorer) settings. Each browser is a little different, so please look at your browser’s Help menu to learn the correct way to modify your cookies.
Please note that if you opt out of or turn cookies off, you may not have access to many features that make your site experience more efficient and some of our services may not function properly.
We may also contract with certain service providers to assist us in better serving and understanding our site visitors. These service providers are not permitted to use the information collected on our behalf except to help us conduct and improve our business.
For example, Chosen Foods uses Shopify as an ecommerce platform to power the Site and process customer payments. Shopify places third-party cookies for visitors to the online stores of merchants who use Shopify that are necessary for the functioning of their online stores, reporting, and analytics. However, Shopify does not set advertising cookies through its merchants’ online storefronts. For more information on Shopify cookies, please visit https://www.shopify.ca/legal/cookies?utm_medium=Forum&utm_campaign=Guru+Ask&utm_source=social.
(iii) Analytics Information
The Site also uses the following analytic tools to help us analyze the performance of our Site and services as well as how visitors use our Site and services. The information collected by these tools is aggregated and anonymized:
Google Analytics - For more information on Google Analytics cookies, visit www.google.com/policies. To opt-out of being tracked by Google Analytics across all websites visit http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout. This will allow you to download and install a Google Analytics cookie-free web browser.
Shopify Analytics - For more information on Shopify Analytics cookies, visit https://www.shopify.ca/legal/cookies?utm_medium=Forum&utm_campaign=Guru+Ask&utm_source=social. For more information on how to modify your browser settings or how to block, manage or filter cookies can be found in your browser’s help file or through such sites as: www.allaboutcookies.org.
C. Information Provided To Us By Others.
We may receive Personal Information about you from third-party e-commerce platforms (such as Amazon.com and Walmart.com) if you place orders through those web sites for our products. This information includes your full name, physical/shipping address, and phone number. Similarly, we also receive email addresses from other sites that you may visit (such as Shopify.com) when you sign-up for customer newsletters or search for stores that carry our products. We use this information to fulfill orders for our products, provide product giveaways, and to address customer service issues.
III. How We Use The Information We Collect
We may use the Personal Information we collect when you register or set-up an account on our Site, purchase products, request refunds or replacement products, sign up for a newsletter, enter a contest or promotion, respond to a survey or marketing communication, surf the website, or use certain other Site features in the following ways:
- To personalize your site experience and to allow us to deliver the type of content and product offerings in which you are most interested.
- To allow us to better service you in responding to your customer service requests.
- To quickly process and fulfill your requested transactions.
- To administer a contest, promotion, survey or other site feature.
Visitors who register on or participate in other Site features such as marketing programs and 'members-only' content will be given a choice whether they would like to be on our e-mail list and receive e-mail communications from us.
If you have opted-in to receive our e-mail newsletter, we may send you periodic e-mails.
If you no longer want to receive promotional e-mail from us, please refer to the "How can you opt-out, remove or modify information you have provided to us?" section below. If you have not opted-in to receive e-mail newsletters, you will not receive these e-mails.
IV. Who We Share Your Information With
A. No Sale of Personal Information to Third-Parties for their Own Use.
Accordingly, there have been no sales of Personal Information to Third-Parties for their own use or further disclosure in the past twelve (12) months. Likewise, Chosen Foods does not knowingly collect and does not, and will not, sell Personal Information of minors under 16 years of age without affirmative authorization.
B. Sharing Personal Information with Affiliates and Service Providers That Help Us Perform Our Business Purposes.
The term "Third-Parties" does not include www.chosenfoods.com or our affiliates. It also does not include website hosting partners and other Service Providers who assist us in operating our Site, conducting our business, or providing services to you, so long as those parties agree to keep this information confidential and not use or further disclose it for their own purposes.
We may provide your Personal Information to our Service Providers who help us perform our business purposes, such as:
- Fulfillment Providers, who fulfill orders for our products that you place with us through the Site or otherwise
- Shippers and warehouse operators, who assist us with delivering the products that you request from us through the Site or otherwise
- Technology companies, who assist us in maintaining, protecting, and enhancing our Site and our customer service and communication systems
C. Sharing Information with Third-Parties at Your Direction.
We may share your Personal Information with Third Parties to whom you or your agents authorize us in advance to intentionally disclose to or allow to use your Personal Information in connection with services that we provide.
D. Monitoring, Enforcement, and Legal Requests.
Chosen Foods has no obligation to monitor the Site or the use of the Site or to retain the content of any user session. However, we reserve the right, at all times, to monitor, review, retain and/or disclose any information, including Personal Information, as may be necessary to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request or to cooperate with law enforcement and other authorities.
We may also use IP addresses to identify a Site user when we feel it is necessary to protect the Site, our service, clients, potential clients or others.
E. Sale of our Company or Assets.
In the event of a sale, assignment or transfer of our assets or of any portion of our business, we reserve the right to transfer any and all information that we collect from individuals, or that we otherwise collect in connection with the Site, to unaffiliated third-party purchasers.
F. Internal Use and Research.
Chosen Foods reserves the right to use and disclose de-identified information; anonymized information; aggregated information or publicly available information that has not been combined with non-public Personal Information for purposes including, but not limited to, the company’s own internal use, data mining, and research.
Similarly, aggregated, de-identified and non-personally identifiable Site visitor information may be provided to other parties for marketing, advertising, or other uses.
V. Modifying or Removing Your Account Information
To modify your e-mail subscriptions, please let us know by modifying your preferences in the "My Account" section of the Site. Please note that due to email production schedules you may receive any emails already in production.
To delete all of your online account information from our database, sign into the "My Account" section of our site and remove your shipping addresses, billing addresses & payment information. Please note that we may maintain information about an individual sales transaction in order to service that transaction and for record keeping.
California Residents who wish to make a consumer rights Request to Know or Request to Delete their data should follow the instructions in the California Residents section of this Policy, below.
VI. Protection Of Your Personal Information
We implement a variety of reasonable security measures to maintain the safety of your Personal Information. For example,
- Your Personal Information is contained behind secured networks and is only accessible by a limited number of persons who have special access rights to such systems, and who are required to keep the information confidential.
- When you place orders or access your Personal Information, we offer the use of a secure server.
- All sensitive/credit information you supply is transmitted via Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology and then encrypted into our databases to be only accessed as stated above.
VII. Other Sites/Third Party Links
X. Contact Us With Any Questions
Chosen Foods, LLC.
Attention: Chief Privacy Officer
1747 Hancock St, Ste A, San Diego, CA 92101
XI. CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS: Summary Of Consumer Rights Under The California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”)
The California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018, Cal. Civ. Code §1798.100 et seq., (“CCPA)” took effect on January 1, 2020. The CCPA grants new privacy rights to California consumers, including:
- The right to know what Personal Information is collected, used, shared or sold, both as to the categories and specific pieces of Personal Information;
- The right to delete Personal Information held by businesses and by extension, a business’s service provider;
- The right to opt-out of the sale of Personal Information. Consumers are able to direct a business that sells Personal Information to stop selling that information. Children under the age of 16 must provide opt in consent, with a parent or guardian consenting for children under 13; and
- The right to non-discrimination in terms of price or service when a consumer exercises a privacy right under CCPA.
A business subject to the CCPA that collects a California consumer's Personal Information must, at or before the point of collection, inform the consumer as to the categories of Personal Information to be collected and the purposes for which the categories of Personal Information shall be used.
A covered business must disclose and deliver the Personal Information the business collected about the consumer in response to a verifiable consumer request.
For purposes of the CCPA, “Personal Information” does not include:
- Publicly available information from government records;
- De-identified or aggregated consumer information; or
- Information excluded from the CCPA's scope, such as:
- health or medical information covered by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) and the California Confidentiality of Medical Information Act (CMIA) or clinical trial data;
- Personal Information covered by certain sector-specific privacy laws, including the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FRCA), the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA) or California Financial Information Privacy Act (FIPA), and the Driver's Privacy Protection Act of 1994.
A further summary of consumer rights provided by the CCPA follows.
B. Right to Know.
A business that collects Personal Information must also disclose, in response to a verifiable consumer request, the following:
- The categories of Personal Information the business has collected about the consumer;
- The categories of sources from which that Personal Information is collected;
- The business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling Personal Information collected from consumers;
- The categories of third parties with which the business shares Personal Information;
- The specific pieces of Personal Information the business has collected about the consumer making the request;
A business that sells a consumer's Personal Information or discloses a consumer's Personal Information for a business purpose must disclose the following in response to a verifiable consumer request:
- The categories of Personal Information the business has collected about the individual consumer
- The categories of Personal Information the business has sold about the consumer and categories of third parties to which the Personal Information was sold by category or categories of Personal Information for each third party to which the Personal Information was sold. Or, if the business has not sold any consumer Personal Information, it must state that fact)
- The categories of Personal Information the business has disclosed about the consumer for a business purpose. Or, if the business has not disclosed any consumer Personal Information for a business purpose, it must state that fact.
C. Right to Deletion.
You have the right to request that we delete any of your Personal Information that we collected from you and retained, subject to certain exceptions. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request, we will delete (and direct our Service Providers to delete) your Personal Information from our records, unless an exception applies.
However, the CCPA provides for certain exceptions to the Right to Deletion. We may deny your deletion request if retaining the information is necessary for us or our Service Providers to:
- Complete the transaction for which we collected the Personal Information, provide a good or service that you requested, take actions reasonably anticipated within the context of our ongoing business relationship with you, or otherwise perform our contract with you.
- Detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, or prosecute those responsible for such activities.
- Debug products to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality.
- Exercise free speech, ensure the right of another consumer to exercise their free speech rights, or exercise another right provided for by law.
- Comply with the California Electronic Communications Privacy Act (Cal. Penal Code § 1546 seq.).
- Engage in public or peer-reviewed scientific, historical, or statistical research in the public interest that adheres to all other applicable ethics and privacy laws, when the information's deletion may likely render impossible or seriously impair the research's achievement if you previously provided informed consent.
- Enable solely internal uses that are reasonably aligned with consumer expectations based on your relationship with us.
- Comply with a legal obligation.
- Make other internal and lawful uses of that information that are compatible with the context in which you provided it.
D. Right to Non-Discrimination.
A business must not discriminate against a consumer who exercises any of the consumer's rights under the CCPA. However, a business may charge different prices or provide a different quality of goods or services if the difference is reasonably related to the value provided to the consumer by the consumer's data and may offer financial incentives to a consumer for the collection, sale, or deletion of Personal Information on a prior opt-in consent basis.
E. Right to Opt-Out.
A business that sells consumers' Personal Information to third parties needs to provide notice to consumers thereof and that consumers have the right to opt out of the sale of their Personal Information. A business must provide a "Do Not Sell My Personal Information" link on its Internet homepage that links to an Internet webpage that enables a consumer to opt out of the sale of the consumer's Personal Information.
A business must not sell the Personal Information of consumers if the business has actual knowledge that the consumer is less than 16 years of age, unless the consumer, in the case of consumers between 13 and 16 years of age, or the consumer's parent or guardian, in the case of consumers who are less than 13 years of age, has affirmatively authorized the sale of the consumer's Personal Information.
- Consumers' rights under the CCPA, including the consumer right to opt out of the sale of the consumer's Personal Information and a separate link to the "Do Not Sell My Personal Information" Internet Web page;
- The methods for submitting and verifying consumer requests; and
- A list of the categories of Personal Information that the business has collected about consumers, sold about consumers, and disclosed about consumers for a business purpose in the preceding 12 months
XII. CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS: How To Make A CCPA Consumer Rights Request.
A. Instructions for Submitting a CCPA Consumer Rights Request to Us.
If you wish to exercise any of the CCPA consumer rights summarized above, such as a Request to Know or a Request to Delete Personal Information, you can do so in one of the following ways:
- Click on this link to complete and submit the referenced web form;
- Call us at 1-877-338-0644 or
- Reach us by email or U.S. mail at:
Chosen Foods, LLC
Attention: Chief Privacy Officer
1747 Hancock St, Ste A, San Diego, CA 92101 Privacy@chosenfoods.com
Upon receiving a verifiable Request to Know or a Request to Delete, we will confirm receipt of the request within ten (10) days and provide some information about how we will verify and handle the request, and by when you should expect to receive a response.
Please note that you may only make a verifiable consumer Request to Know or Request to Access your data under the CCPA two times within any 12-month period.
B. Verification Of The Person Making A Consumer Rights Request.
Of course, we need to be reasonably sure that the person making the request is actually you! So, we may need some information from you to verify that you are the person whose Personal Information you are asking to know about or to delete. Accordingly, the verifiable consumer request must:
- Provide sufficient information that allows us to reasonably verify you are the person about whom we collected Personal Information or an authorized representative.
- Describe your request with sufficient detail that allows us to properly understand, evaluate, and respond to it.
We cannot respond to your request or provide you with Personal Information if we cannot verify your identity or authority to make the request and confirm the Personal Information relates to you. Making a verifiable consumer request does not require you to create an account with us. We will only use Personal Information provided in a verifiable consumer request to verify the requestor's identity or authority to make the request.
C. Designating An Authorized Agent to Make A Request for You.
Only you or a person registered with the California Secretary of State that you designate and authorize to act on your behalf, may make a verifiable consumer request related to your Personal Information. For your protection, we will need some proof that someone seeking to act on your behalf is actually authorized by you to do so. You may also make a verifiable consumer request on behalf of your minor child.
D. Response Timing and Format.
We will try to respond to a verifiable consumer request within forty-five (45) days of its receipt. If we need more time (up to 90 days), we will inform you of the reason and extension period in writing. If you have an account with us, we will deliver our written response to that account. If you do not have an account with us, we will deliver our written response by mail or electronically, at your option. Any disclosures we provide will only cover the 12-month period preceding the verifiable consumer request's receipt.
If you are making a Request to Delete your Personal Information, we will re-confirm with you that you really want your information deleted after verifying your request.
If we cannot respond to or comply with your Request to Know or Request to Delete, say because we cannot verify your identity or because an exception applies, we will explain the reasons we cannot comply with your request. For data portability requests, we will select a format to provide your personal information that is readily useable and should allow you to transmit the information from one entity to another entity without hindrance.
We do not charge a fee to process or respond to your verifiable consumer request unless it is excessive, repetitive, or manifestly unfounded. If we determine that the request warrants a fee, we will tell you why we made that decision and provide you with a cost estimate before completing your request.