Veggie & Avocado Bahn Mi with Spicy Lime Mayo
Bite into the flavorful crunch of a vegetarian banh mi sandwich, featuring Chosen Foods Lime Mayo, toasted sesame oil, hot sauce, and plenty of healthy vegetables. This famous handheld originated in Saigon, Vietnam in the 1950s during the tail end of French colonialism. Though cost issues kept the native Vietnamese from widespread enjoyment of French bread for nearly a century, the banh mi is now solidly considered a national dish. The vegetarian version is just one of the many recipes found at street food carts, restaurants, and homes across the vibrant Southeast Asian country.
Time: 20 min
- 4 demi baguettes
- ½ cup Chosen Foods Classic Avocado Oil Mayo
- 2 tbsp hot sauce
- 2 tsp lime juice
- ½ tsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 pinches salt
- 1 large avocado
- ½ bunch cilantro
- 2 Persian cucumbers, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 cup shredded carrot, pickled or raw
- 1 Fresno chili peppers, cut into rounds
- In a small bowl, add the Lime Mayo, hot sauce, lime juice, toasted sesame oil, and a pinch of salt. Mix well until the color is homogeneous.
- Slice the demi baguette in half without separating the halves. Place the bread in the oven and toast for about 3 minutes at 400°F.
- Next, spread the spicy sauce over the toasted bread and start layering up your veggies—cucumber slices, carrot, avocado, cilantro, and Fresno chilies.
- Top it off with more of the spicy Lime Mayo sauce, close the sandwich, and enjoy!