Mushroom lovers, rejoice! In this recipe, extraordinary mushroom varieties seasoned with our Italian Herb Spray wow over a bed of goat cheese on sourdough toast. Simply toast, assemble, and top with fresh parsley, then enjoy as a protein-packed breakfast, snack or dinner appetizer.
Total Time: 30 Minutes
Yields: 6 Servings
Italian Mushroom Toast with Goat Cheese
- Chosen Foods Italian Herb Spray
- 5 cups assorted mushrooms, roughly chopped (morels, shiitake, chanterelles, button, oyster)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 tablespoons fresh sage or thyme, chopped
- ¼ cup parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon of sherry, balsamic, or apple cider vinegar
- 10-12 ounces goat cheese (or if dairy free, omit)
- 1 rustic baguette cut into 2 inch thick toasts (ciabatta or sourdough)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Cut the bread into 2 inch slices, as you would for avocado toast. Spray both sides with Italian Herb Spray and place on a baking sheet. Remove when golden brown, being careful not to burn (about 5 minutes).
- While the toast is in the oven, heat a sauté pan to medium heat and add the Italian Herb Spray to coat the bottom of the pan. Toss in the roughly chopped mushrooms and spray again to cover them with oil.
- Let cook for 5 minutes (without disturbing) until golden brown. Add in the salt and flip the mushrooms. Add the sage and vinegar, then let cook for another 5 minutes, or until brown on both sides.
- Spread the goat cheese on one side of the toasted bread, then top with the sautéed mushrooms and parsley. Finish with a drizzle of oil (avocado oil, Italian Herb Spray or truffle oil) and a sprinkle of salt.
All recipes adapted from The Mexican Keto Cookbook. Copyright © 2019 by Torie Borrelli. Published by Ten Speed Press, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC.