Smoked Salmon Smorrebrod
Our take on this Scandinavian favorite replaces sour cream with healthy Avocado Oil Mayonnaise and Green Goddess Dressing. Melt-in-your-mouth smoked salmon, quick pickled fennel and fresh cucumbers capture warm, tart and cool notes, making these open faced sandwiches perfect for a light lunch or afternoon snack.
Course: Entree, Side
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Assembly Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 small fennel bulb, very thinly sliced crosswise
- ½ cup filtered water
- ½ cup white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 4 thin slices dark bread such as rye or pumpernickel, toasted
- ¼ cup Chosen FoodsⓇ Avocado Oil Mayonnaise
- ½ English cucumber, very thinly sliced
- 8 oz cold-smoked salmon or gravlax
- ¼ cup Chosen FoodsⓇ Garden Goddess Dressing
- Toast the slices of bread and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine fennel, vinegar, ½ cup water, sugar and salt. Bring to a boil, simmer 2 minutes, then take off heat and pour fennel into a bowl. Add 4 ice cubes and stir to cool.
- Lay toasted bread slices on a work surface and spread each with 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise. Top with cucumber and salmon.
- Drain fennel and place a small mound on each toast. Drizzle with Garden Goddess dressing and serve immediately.