Smoked Salmon Smorrebrod Open-Faced Sandwich
Our take on this Scandinavian favorite replaces sour cream with healthy Avocado Oil Mayonnaise and Green Goddess Dressing. Melt-in-your-mouth smoked salmon, quick pickled fennel and fresh cucumbers capture warm, tart and cool notes, making these open faced sandwiches perfect for a light lunch or afternoon snack.
Course: Entree, Side
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Assembly Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 small fennel bulb, very thinly sliced crosswise
- ½ cup filtered water
- ½ cup white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 4 thin slices dark bread such as rye or pumpernickel, toasted
- ¼ cup Chosen FoodsⓇ Avocado Oil Mayonnaise
- ½ English cucumber, very thinly sliced
- 8 oz cold-smoked salmon or gravlax
- ¼ cup Chosen FoodsⓇ Garden Goddess Dressing
- Toast the slices of bread and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine fennel, vinegar, ½ cup water, sugar and salt. Bring to a boil, simmer 2 minutes, then take off heat and pour fennel into a bowl. Add 4 ice cubes and stir to cool.
- Lay toasted bread slices on a work surface and spread each with 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise. Top with cucumber and salmon.
- Drain fennel and place a small mound on each toast. Drizzle with Garden Goddess dressing and serve immediately.
If you enjoyed this recipe, we think you might also enjoy our Roasted Salmon Salad Bowls recipe featuring Chosen Goddess Dressing.