The fall season is in full swing and the apples are ready for picking. If you’re looking for an awesome autumn activity you can do with the whole gang, why not try apple picking? It’s fun and inexpensive, plus, you leave with a basket of the freshest farm apples you’ve ever tasted.
Here are some of our tips for making the perfect apple picking adventure.
1. Pack a picnic basket.
- Large blanket
- Sandwiches (some of our favorite options include this Garlicky Egg Salad Sandwich or any of our 5 Flavorful Paninis)
- Chips, crackers, or sliced veggies and dip
- Utensils, cups, plates, napkins (consider reusable or compostable options)
2. Get active!
3. How to pick an apple
To reach apples on the higher branches, use one of the orchard’s fruit picker baskets. It looks like an open wire basket on the end of a broomstick, but it’s absolutely ingenious when it comes to picking apples you’d never reach from the ground.
Pro tip: Late in the season when the pickings are slim down low, pack a lightweight collapsible step stool to reach fruit others can’t! Sometimes even the fruit picker isn’t tall enough.
4. Double-check pet policies.
5. Keep the fun going at home.
Here are some of our favorite apple recipes from the Chosen Foods catalog.
- Healthy Caramel Apples
- Baked Cinnamon Apple Crisp with Vanilla Ice Cream
- Savory Marinated Pork Chops with Homemade Apple Sauce & Sage
- Kale & Roasted Butternut Squash Salad
- Crisp Apple Salad
- Bobbing for apples: an oldie but a goodie, this is the original Halloween party game.
- Blind apple taste test: Find out who in the family can tell the difference between all the different varieties of apples you picked on your outing. It’s harder than you think!
- Painting with apples: great for toddlers.