1. Buy shredded carrots from the grocery store.
Tofu Bao Buns with Spicy Pickled Carrots
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt, plus 2 pinches
- ½ piece jalapeño, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- ½ cup Chosen Foods Vegan Mayo
- 2 tbsp green onion, cut into small rounds
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cracks fresh ground pepper
- 1 pack extra firm tofu
- 2 ½ tbsp tamari
- ½ tsp onion powder
- Chosen Food Avocado Oil Spray
- 12-pack bao buns
- Pickle the carrots. Warm the water, vinegar, salt and sugar together until dissolved and stir in sliced jalapeño. Place the shredded carrot in a bowl and pour the pickling liquid over it. Store in the fridge.
- Make the dip. Mix the mayo, green onion, lemon juice, 2 pinches of salt, and ground pepper. Mix until combined and store in the fridge.
- Drain and pat dry the tofu. Cut into small rectangles (1” wide and 1/4” thick).
- Preheat a pan on medium heat.
- Pour tamari into a shallow dish and place the tofu pieces in it for 30 seconds. Flip the tofu and sprinkle evenly with onion powder.
- Spray the preheated pan with avocado oil and cook 6-8 pieces of tofu for a 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Repeat with remaining tofu.
- Cut parchment paper into squares and place one bao bun on each square. Arrange the bao buns in a bamboo steamer (make sure to space them out so they don't touch). Steam over a pot of water and for 6-8 minutes.
- Carefully open each bun and add a piece of tofu, vegan mayo, and 2 teaspoons of spicy pickled carrots. Serve warm and enjoy!