Bao buns are the poster child for mouthwatering street food. Fluffy and chewy, yet full of crisp fillings, the dichotomy is refreshingly satiating. Ours are stuffed to the brim with crispy tofu, pickled jalapeños and carrots, and Chosen Foods Vegan Avocado Oil Mayo. Have a batch of them ready to share with friends in just 25 minutes.
1. Buy shredded carrots from the grocery store.
2. If you'd like to have leftover pickled carrots for salads and sandwiches, simply double the pickling batch. You won't regret it.
Tofu Bao Buns with Spicy Pickled Carrots
Time: 25 min
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt, plus 2 pinches
- ½ piece jalapeño, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- ½ cup Chosen Foods Vegan Mayo
- 2 tbsp green onion, cut into small rounds
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cracks fresh ground pepper
- 1 pack extra firm tofu
- 2 ½ tbsp tamari
- ½ tsp onion powder
- Chosen Food Avocado Oil Spray
- 12-pack bao buns
- Pickle the carrots. Warm the water, vinegar, salt and sugar together until dissolved and stir in sliced jalapeño. Place the shredded carrot in a bowl and pour the pickling liquid over it. Store in the fridge.
- Make the dip. Mix the mayo, green onion, lemon juice, 2 pinches of salt, and ground pepper. Mix until combined and store in the fridge.
- Drain and pat dry the tofu. Cut into small rectangles (1” wide and 1/4” thick).
- Preheat a pan on medium heat.
- Pour tamari into a shallow dish and place the tofu pieces in it for 30 seconds. Flip the tofu and sprinkle evenly with onion powder.
- Spray the preheated pan with avocado oil and cook 6-8 pieces of tofu for a 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Repeat with remaining tofu.
- Cut parchment paper into squares and place one bao bun on each square. Arrange the bao buns in a bamboo steamer (make sure to space them out so they don't touch). Steam over a pot of water and for 6-8 minutes.
- Carefully open each bun and add a piece of tofu, vegan mayo, and 2 teaspoons of spicy pickled carrots. Serve warm and enjoy!