Whole Grain Breakfast Bowl with Soft Boiled Egg
Fill up on a hearty bowl of cracked wheat grains, spiced beans, steamed kale and soft boiled eggs. Topped with nutrient-rich pepitas, avocado and our zesty Baja Goddess Dressing, this recipe is sure to keep you satisfied through the morning.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Assembly Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 cup cracked freekeh
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- Filtered water
- 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 eggs
- 4 packed cups kale, deribbed and roughly torn
- 1 large avocado, pitted and sliced
- ½ cup toasted pepitas
- ½ cup Chosen FoodsⓇ Baja Goddess Dressing
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- In a medium saucepan combine freekeh and broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer gently until freekeh is tender and broth is absorbed, 20-25 minutes. If needed, drain off any excess liquid.
- While freekeh cooks, in a small saucepan combine beans, cumin, and ¼ cup water. Heat gently, covered, over low heat.
- Bring 1” water to a boil in a large saucepan with a steamer basket inside. Use tongs to lower eggs into steamer basket, cover, and steam for 7 minutes. Fill a bowl with ice water and transfer eggs to ice water to cool. Crack eggs all over and peel, then halve eggs lengthwise.
- Place kale in steamer basket used for cooking eggs. Cover and steam just until wilted, about 4 minutes.
- To serve, divide freekeh among 4 bowls. Top with beans, egg, kale, avocado, and pepitas. Drizzle each bowl with 2 tablespoons Baja Goddess Dressing, and sprinkle with green onion. Serve immediately.