The season of the winter solstice is a great time to innovate in the kitchen. With that intention in mind, this winter salad, with crisp radicchio, fresh pear, roasted squash and a tangy, homemade dressing, works well as a dynamic side dish to any holiday meal.
Time: 1 hour
Yields: 6 servings
Winter Salad with Radicchio & Roasted Garlic Squash
- 2-3 squash of choice (butternut, honeynut or delicata), seeds removed, sliced into 1 inch thick half moons (about 2 cups)
- Chosen Foods Garlic Avocado Oil Spray
- 2 small heads of radicchio, roughly chopped (or substitute any seasonal greens)
- 1 pear (Bosc, Bartlett or Asian), thinly sliced
- ½ cup pecans, roasted and roughly chopped or whole
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, shaved
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
For the Dressing:
- 4 tablespoon fresh lemon, juiced
- 3 tablespoon orange, juiced
- 2 tablespoons stone ground mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar or sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons local honey
- ½ shallot, finely chopped, about 2-3 tablespoons
- 2 garlic cloves, whole
- ¼ cup olive oil or avocado oil
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place the squash on a parchment lined baking sheet, and spray to coat with the Garlic Avocado Oil Spray. Roast 40-60 minutes or until lightly browned, turning halfway through.
- While the squash is baking, begin to assemble the salad by layering the radicchio leaves (or greens of choice) and pear on a large salad plate or bowl.
- In a small jar, add all dressing ingredients and shake until emulsified. Alternatively, this can also be done by hand with a whisk.
- On the large salad serving plate or bowl, top the radicchio and pear with roasted squash, pecans, parmesan, and salt and pepper to taste. Top with dressing and serve.
Note: The roasted squash can be made one day before and stored in the fridge. The dressing can be made a couple days ahead of time and stored in the fridge.
All recipes adapted from The Mexican Keto Cookbook. Copyright © 2019 by Torie Borrelli. Published by Ten Speed Press, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC.