Healthy 4th of July Recipe Roundup
It’s been a hot minute since we’ve had some all-out holiday fun, wouldn’t you agree? This 4th of July, rally the troops for an Independence Day gathering you won’t soon forget. Our Recipe Roundup menu features three wholesome and delicious recipes made for sustaining your group throughout the busy day.
Juicy Turkey Burger Sliders
This handheld main was created specifically to quench your desire for a hearty summer burger, but with a lighter twist. Ground turkey provides lean protein and fresh avocado slices bring the good fats. A spread of Avocado Oil Mayo ties the whole thing together with a creaminess you just gotta have.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
- In a medium bowl, mix together the mayo, salt, garlic powder, chili flakes and onion. Add ground turkey and mix with your hands until mixture is evenly combined. (It might feel a little “wetter” than usual, but it’s all good).
- Divide the turkey mixture into 8 uniformly sized balls. Spray your clean hands with avocado oil and shape each ball into a 2” pucks. Place on a lined tray and chill uncovered for 10-15 minutes.
- Coat your grill or the slider patties with avocado oil spray and grill each side for about 4 minutes. Place the cooked sliders on a rack and cover them.
- Spread some mayo on each bun and grill for a couple minutes.
- To assemble the burgers, place the cooked patty and top with avocado slices and colorful coleslaw (recipe below).
Colorful Cabbage Slaw
On a warm day, opt for this colorful slaw instead of a leafy green salad as your vegetable side. Chopped and chilled, this antioxidant-packed mix of carrots, celery, and red cabbage is slightly sweet, perfectly tangy, and sure to cool you off in a jiffy.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
- 3/4 cup Chosen Foods Classic Avocado Oil Mayo
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 medium head of purple cabbage, about 6 cups shredded
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 4 celery stalks, about 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced
- In a medium bowl, combine mayo, lemon juice, sugar, salt, and dry mustard. Whisk for about 5 minutes or until the sugar is dissolved and all the flavors are well incorporated. Set aside.
- Slice or shred the purple cabbage and carrot. Cut the celery into thin half-moons.
- Toss the shredded veggies with your homemade coleslaw dressing.
- Refrigerate or chill for at least one hour before serving.
Lemony Grilled Potato Salad
The truth is… no festivity is complete without a potato dish. Of all the potato recipes you could invite to your party, we say: let this be the one to grace your 4th of July table. It’s got tender baby potatoes, Pecorino Romano cheese, and grilled fennel—a "secret weapon" ingredient sure to wow the whole crowd.
Prep Time: 40 minutes
- In a large pot, cover potatoes with 3-4 quarts of water and stir in 1/3 cup of salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium and simmer until tender—about 12-15 minutes (time may vary with the size of the potatoes). Drain and let cool.
- While the potatoes are simmering, preheat grill to medium-high.
- Cut fennel in half lengthwise, spray with avocado oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Slice the potatoes in half lengthwise and place in a bowl. Spray the potato halves with avocado oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and paprika.
- Grill fennel for about 6 minutes on each side and potatoes for about 4-5 minutes on each side or until crispy and visual grill marks appear.
- Pull the fennel out of the grill and carefully chop it, using tongs to hold it steady while cutting.
- Transfer the potatoes back to a bowl and top with Lemon Garlic Dressing, chopped parsley, red onion, chopped fennel, and half of the Pecorino cheese. Toss gently with a rubber spatula until mixed evenly. Serve potato salad on a platter and garnish with the remaining cheese.