Welcome in the warmth of summertime with this clean and colorful salad. It's hearty enough to stand alone as an entree, but light enough to be served as a side.
Evergreen Farro and Quinoa Broccolini Salad
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 clove large garlic
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2-3 oz Pecorino cheese or other hard grating cheese
- ½ cup Chosen Foods Avocado Oil
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- ½ cup quinoa
- ½ cup farro (dry)
- 1 inch bunch broccolini sliced thin into 2’ lengths
- 4 cups packed spinach leaves finely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh mint leaves finely chopped
- ¼ cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes chopped, about 6
- 2 inch mini Persian cucumbers, sliced 1/4’ thick
- 1 cup radishes thinly sliced
- 2 Fresno chiles thinly sliced
- ½ cup almonds coarsely chopped
Cook the quinoa and farro in two separate small pots of boiling salted water until they are both al dente, about 10 to 15 minutes. The quinoa will cook slightly faster. Rinse under cold water and drain. Spread both out onto a plate and chill.
Meanwhile, in a blender or small food processor, combine the lemon juice, mustard, honey, garlic, and salt. Blend until smooth and then slowly drizzle in the oil until emulsified. Crumble the pecorino into small pea size pieces over the dressing. With the back of a spoon, crush the some of the cheese into the dressing just until lightly incorporated. Season with freshly cracked black pepper and taste to adjust for seasonings.
Bring a small amount of water in a small pot to a boil fitted with a steamer basket. Add the broccolini and steam just until tender, about 1 to 2 minutes.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the quinoa, farro, chopped spinach, mint, sun-dried tomatoes, cucumbers, radishes, chilies, steamed broccolini, and almonds. Pour over the dressing and toss well to coat. Serve salad topped with radishes.
Salad (without spinach, mint, cucumbers, and radishes) can be made 1 hour ahead. Cover and chill.