Fun fact: Churros are a tradition from Spain, named after the horns of the common “churra” sheep. The recipe for making churros became popular across Central America during the Spanish colonial era, and even in other Spanish colonies such as the Philippines. Churros, though amazing on their own, were improved upon when Spaniards brought Central American cacao back to Spain, where they experimented with adding sugar. Take a trip to this beautiful Mediterranean land and you’ll most definitely have the chance to enjoy the thick milk chocolate dipping sauce that comes with churros con chocolate.
Easy Homemade Churros With Chosen Foods Avocado Oil
Time: 25 min
- ½ cup sugar, plus 1 tbsp
- 2 tsp cinnamon, plus a dash
- ¾ cup water
- 80 grams butter
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups Chosen Foods 100% Pure Avocado Oil
- Mix ½ cup sugar and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon in a shallow plate and reserve.
- In a medium pot, add water, butter, salt, a dash of cinnamon and 1 tablespoon of sugar. Set the heat to medium, allow the butter to melt and the sugar and salt to dissolve. Bring the water up to a boil and pour in the flour.
- Mix vigorously with a wooden spoon until the dough starts to come together and becomes a smooth play-dough texture.
- Place the dough in a mixing bowl for 3-4 minutes to allow it to cool slightly. Add one egg at a time, incorporating them well into the dough. The dough will become smooth and slightly sticky.
- Place the dough in a piping bag with a wide star tip. Pipe 6-inch logs on a lined sheet tray and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the avocado oil over medium heat. The oil should be between about 375℉.
- Fry the churros until golden brown.
- As you remove each churro from the frying pan, drain it for a few seconds over a bowl, then immediately dust in the cinnamon sugar!