The rice soup we enjoyed as kids was often fairly simple with rice, carrots, onion, and celery. Our take uses those same ingredients but also incorporates butternut squash, fennel, and corn, and replaces butter with Avocado Oil, making it dairy-free. Though the recipe calls for chicken stock, you may instead use vegetable bouillon to make it vegan.
Time-Saving Tip: Buy pre-cut butternut squash (fresh or frozen). This will save you 10-20 minutes, depending on how long it typically takes you to peel and cube a whole butternut squash.
Not-Your-Momma’s Veggie Soup
Time: 30 minutes
- 1 tbsp Chosen Foods Avocado Oil
- 2 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup shaved fennel
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¾ cup celery, half-moons (about 2-3 stalks)
- ½ cup white long-grain rice
- 6 cups chicken stock
- ¼ tsp fresh ground pepper
- 2 ears of corn cut into 2" rounds
- Set your instant pot to sauté mode. Pour in the avocado oil and allow it to warm up.
- Add the butternut squash cubes, sprinkle some salt, and sauté for 2 minutes. Add shaved fennel and stir for another minute. Add onion and garlic powder and keep stirring.
- Add celery, rice, and chicken stock. Crack some fresh black pepper, stir and taste. Adjust seasoning or add as needed.
- Secure the lid and pressure cook on high for 10 minutes, then allow a natural release of 10 minutes. Open the lid carefully and add the corn. Stir it in, close the lid, and keep warm for 10 minutes. Release pressure and serve!