Roasted Spaghetti Squash with Chicken & Sage
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 2-4 tbsp Chosen Foods 100% Pure Avocado Oil divided
- 1-2 free-range chicken breasts cut into 2” strips (adjust based on size of breasts and desired amount of protein)
- 2 lemons juiced
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 cup chopped kale or chard
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 leaves sage chopped
- 1/2 tsp sea salt plus more for seasoning squash & chicken
- 1/4 ground pepper plus more for seasoning squash & chicken
- 2-3 grass-fed butter cut into 3 chunks
Preheat oven to 425F.
Trim the ends of the spaghetti squash. Cut it in half length-wise and scoop out the seeds (a grapefruit spoon works really well here). Drizzle with avocado oil and season generally with salt and pepper. Place the squash face down on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake 25-35 minutes, or until browned. Remove and let cool before shredding into "pasta-like" threads with a fork.
Heat a large saucepan over medium -high heat. Season chicken strips well with salt and pepper. Add avocado oil to the pan to heat, then add the seasoned chicken strips. Cook until browned, about 2-3 minutes per side. Remove promptly to avoid overcooking and let rest on a plate covered with foil.
Reduce the heat to medium and add chicken stock and lemon juice. Stir and scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the kale, garlic, sage, 1/2 t. sea salt, and 1/4 t. ground pepper. Stir and cover. Cook 5 minutes covered to soften the kale. Uncover and cook another 5-10 minutes, or until the sauces have reduced by half (only a thin layer will remain in the pan). Remove from heat and add the butter. Allow to melt without stirring.
Add the shredded spaghetti squash to the pan and gently toss to combine with the sauce. Portion between two bowls and top with the cooked chicken. Enjoy immediately!