Nothing says “fall” like the irresistible aroma of chicken and herbs roasting in the kitchen! With this recipe, marinate your poultry in our avocado oil based Ranch Dressing and serve with a fragrant side of rosemary sweet potatoes.Total Time: 1.5 hours + minimum 2 hours to marinate
Yields: 6 Servings
Whole Roasted Ranch Chicken & Rosemary Sweet Potatoes
- 1 pasture-raised whole chicken (about 4-5 pounds), at room temperature
- 1 bottle of Chosen Foods Ranch Dressing & Marinade, plus more for serving
- 4 sprigs rosemary, roughly chopped
- 2 sweet potatoes (about 4 cups), sliced into cubes
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- 1 whole garlic head (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Pat the chicken dry using paper towels (unbleached, of course). Cover the dried chicken with 1 cup of the ranch dressing using your hands or brush, making sure to get inside and outside of the chicken. Let it marinate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Once the chicken is marinated, place it breast-side up in a cast-iron skillet or a baking dish.
- With the chicken legs facing you, use a knife to cut through the skin area between the leg and breast.
- In a bowl, mix the rosemary, cut sweet potatoes, avocado oil, salt and pepper. Layer the sweet potatoes and garlic around the chicken.
- Set the skillet into the oven. Roast for 30 minutes, basting the chicken with a brush in ¼ cup more of the ranch dressing.
- Roast for another 30 to 35 minutes. Make sure you check the chicken when an hour has passed. (The cast iron will be hot, so do not use your hands).
- To check doneness, insert a thermometer into the thickest part of the bird and make sure it has reached a temperature of 165°F. Poke the inside of the breast close to where you cut using a fork or knife to see if the juice runs clear. If it's still pink, put it back in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Let the chicken rest for 15 minutes before serving.
- Serve with a side of ranch for dipping the potatoes in.
All recipes adapted from The Mexican Keto Cookbook. Copyright © 2019 by Torie Borrelli. Published by Ten Speed Press, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC.