My theory on holiday gifts goes a little something like this: consumables are good. I am a huge fan of homemade gifts – especially for my kids’ teachers. I prefer delicious little edibles they can confidently devour knowing three things to be true: 1) We care about them enough to make them yummy food; 2) It’s fancy enough that Mom was clearly the chef, which means 100% booger-free hands were at the helm; and 3) My children are their favorites.
Ready to jump on this train? These three simple homemade gifts will delight your child’s teacher, your co-workers, party hosts, and even your hair stylist. The best part? They’re thoughtful, delicious, and they don’t involve the chaos of a shopping mall this time of year.
1 | Garlic + Rosemary Infused Avocado Oil
What You’ll Need:
2 large cloves fresh garlic
2-3 sprigs fresh rosemary
Pop the garlic cloves + rosemary into a cute little glass bottle + fill to the top with avocado oil. Boom. Done.
2 | Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
What you’ll need:
Makes 1 standard loaf
1 1/2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1 pasture-raised egg
1 tbsp vanilla extract
3 ripe bananas, mashed
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. In a small mixing bowl, sift together the flour + sea salt.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the coconut sugar + oil until fully combined. Whisk in the egg + vanilla until the batter is fluffy, then stir in the mashed banana, baking soda + chocolate chips.
4. Spray a standard sized loaf pan with Organic Chosen Blend Oil or Avocado Oil Spray and pour in the batter.
5. Bake for about 45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean as a whistle!
3 | Strawberry-Vanilla Bean Chia Seed Jam
What you’ll need:
makes about 3/4 cup
1 cup fresh or frozen strawberries
2 tbsp water
1 tbsp raw honey
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
1 tbsp chia seeds
1. In a small skillet over medium heat, add the water and cook the strawberries until softened, a few minutes. Mash them up with a potato masher or spatula to create a jammy consistency.
2. Remove from the heat and stir in the honey, vanilla bean paste and chia seeds and let sit several minutes, until thickened.
3. Pour into a jar, cover and store in the refrigerator.